Now the dust has settled and the hype of the Commonwealth Games is over, I thought I would take a look back at some of the highlights of the Games.
• The Opening Ceremony – It’s hard to believe but I have never been to an opening ceremony before. When I was competing we would never go to the ceremony because the swimming was always one of the first competitions and I had to keep focused so it was nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the performance this time. It was brilliant!
• What I enjoyed most was seeing the up and coming names really making an impact on the Games and winning so many medals. British swimming is at its strongest yet. Winning so many medals was a real boost for the team and I hope they can continue their success into Rio in 2016.
• Seeing the likes of Ross Murdoch and Adam Peaty compete in the pool at such a high level was brilliant. Their times were world class and in an Olympic arena would still have beaten many of the US athletes which is great to see
BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
• Siobhan-Marie O’Connor, the six time English medallist. She has one of the best swimming starts in the world and it was a real privilege to be able to see her success throughout the tournament.
WHO TO WATCH OUT FOR IN RIO
• Scotland’s Erraid Davis was superb to watch. At the age of 13, she is a seriously talented swimmer and I wish her every bit of success for her future. She is definitely one to watch in Rio!